Monday, August 07, 2006

Questionaire

Only a month into the blog world and already my Dad has started tagging people :) This is my first experience being tagged, so here it goes.

1. One book that has changed your life.

Continuing my Dad's exception for the Bible on these first three questions, I would have to say On Hope by Josef Pieper. Reading this book was an existentially defining moment in my life as it explains how the Christians life is continuously being "on the way." We are moving towards God and never reach our goal until the end of this life. What was most profound to me was the idea that we can not only lose salvation by denying it outright through despair but also through the presumption that we have already attained it. This book shattered my alter call theology and really pushed me to seek God fully.

2. One book that you have read more than once.

The one that stands out the most in this catagory would have to be Jurassic Park. Yeah, it's not the type of book that one displays proudly next to a first edition Ulysses, but man i loved this book. Science, monsters that just might become a reality (or at least it seemed possible to me in 5th grade), guns, cool australian guys who hunt dinos like a pro, what's there for a boy not to love? In fact, where is my copy...

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

I'd have to say a Flannery O'Connor anthology. Yes, i realize that technically that's more than one book, but she writes short stories so I think it's allowed. What can I say, she's an awesome writer. She has such an amazing ability to write lifelike characters, that I may be able to deal with the lack of companionship on the island (although no book can replace the experience of playing Halo with 4 loud guys).

4. One book that made you laugh.

Oddly enough I'd have to say Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther. As loving as passionate as Luther can be in many of his writings, he can write some hilarious zingers when responding to bad theology.

5. One book that made you cry.

At first I thought I wouldn't have an answer for this question. Books really don't make me cry like a good movie might. But then I remembered that I got teary when I finished Abel's Island. Granted I was in 4th grade, but it counts. i might have gotten a little misty when I read The Dream of a Ridiculous Man but I can't remember for sure.

6. One book that you wished you had written.

Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard. I just wish I was that smart.

7. One book that you wish had never been written.

I think i would have to go with The Divinci Code. Not because it has heretical ideas or is some sort of danger to the church. I'm just sick of uncultured dolts who pick this up at an airport store asking me "Hey have you read The divinci code? It's all true ya' know." Get a library card and an attention span and call me in the morning.

8. One book you are currently reading.

I just got a new book the other day that is really interesting. It's called Monster's from the Id. It basically puts forht the idea that horror in literature and film comes about in response to the immorality of its day. I like it a lot so far and owuld recommend it to any Christian fans of the horror genre.

9. One book you've been meaning to read.

The Brothers Karamazov. I'm fairly certain that not reading it is a mortal sin in my house, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Plus it's really long.

10. Now tag 5 people.

I'll have to get back to this one and see who hasn't been tagged yet.
Dan, 9:57 PM

1 Comments:

Too bad the cool Australian guy had to die. He was the best character.

Or so I've heard. Every time that damnable movie comes on the television.
Blogger Mrs. Sara, at 11:18 AM  

Add a comment